But the point of my post isn't to brag, but to share an interesting request that I got right before Mardi Gras. A friend of mine from Massachusetts told me about an old friend of hers moving from New York to New Orleans. She said "I ask you to send [friend]on a scavenger hunt. After Mardi Gras is over, email her 5-10 places/things she needs to see, experience, or find, on this scavenger hunt of her new adopted city. She can share, or not share, her experiences with you or me. It's not a networking thing. Just a treat, I know you love your adopted city and she has moved there for a great new start. Send her a list of things to find. Send her the list you wish you'd gotten, or even better."
What an awesome request for both the giver and receiver of this list! So, after thinking about it for a while, I sat down to write a Top 10 list to satisfy this request. It turned into a Top 20, and then finally, a Top 25. I thought I'd share it here for posterity.
1. Catch a cabbage head at the St. Patrick’s Day parade in the Irish Channel
2. Take a picture of a Spy Boy and a Big Chief at the Mardi Gras Indian Super Sunday
3.Enjoy $20 weekday lunches at my 3 favorite restaurants: August, Coquette, and Commanders Palace
4. Take the Canal Street streetcar all the way to the cemeteries and visit the Katrina Memorial. And the cemeteries.
5. Take the St. Charles streetcar all the way to the end and explore Oak Street
6. Have a poboy at Parkway
7. Have a slice at Pizza Delicious
8. Get a muffuletta at Central Grocery and go to the Moon Landreiu “Moonwalk” by the Mississippi River and enjoy it on the banks of the river
9. Take the ferry to Algiers.
10. When it opens (should be next month sometime), go to Hansen’s for a snoball. Have a flavor you’ve never heard of. With condensed milk.
11. Go to any crawfish boil you get invited to. Suck the heads.
12. Go to the CBD Farmers Market on a Saturday morning to see the amazing bounty of Louisiana and Mississippi.
13. Have a Vieux Carre, a French 75, or a Milk Punch at the Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone
14. Eat pho.
15. Go to Tipitina’s Foundation Fridays in the summer, where Friday night concerts are free
16. Find the Tree of Life in Audubon Park
17. Go see the Soul Rebels at the Bon Ton Roule on Thursday nights
18. Go to City Park. Take a bike ride, rent a boat.
19. Explore the sculpture garden at the New Orleans Museum of Art
20. Go to at least three Wednesday at the Square concerts.
21. Go to White Linen Night
22. Go to Dirty Linen Night
23. Go to a second line in Central City, Treme, or the Ninth Ward
24. Go to as many free festivals as you can: French Quarter Festival, PoBoy Festival, Creole Tomato Festival...
25. Stroll Magazine Street from Washington to Napoleon.
So, what did I miss? What would YOU put on this list?